Wednesday, April 29, 2009

our love story...the beginning

This is a post I could write about forever. But I will take just a few moments to skim the surface. I love my husband. I am guessing that if you read this blog, you know me, and you probably know Lachlan...but perhaps there are those I have not seen in months or years who know little about my life now, so I think Lachlan is a good place to start. This is the beginning.
Lachlan and I met on my 20th birthday. I was supposed to be going out with friends to celebrate, but they insisted that we first go to a UofL campus ministry event. On this night, all the Christian groups on campus were coming together to worship, and young Sojourn (our church) was enlisted to to help with the service. I was having a good time...the music was great, and it was cool to be with a group of friends on my birthday, but I was anxious to meet up with more friends and the guy I was dating at the time at the restaurant.
Lachlan was the speaker that night. Lachlan Coffee. "Coffee!--No one has the last name Coffee...maybe we are related...long lost cousins!" This dude was funny too. I loved hearing him speak, and it was clear he loved Jesus. I was captivated--I needed to make this guy a friend, (or cousin...). My now pastor, Daniel, was sitting in front of me, and I could tell he was with this dude, Lachlan. I tapped him on the shoulder to confirm that he said his name was Lachlan Coffee. Daniel said I needed to introduce myself...duh! Coffees don't just walk around not introducing themselves to other confirmed Coffees.
After the service was over, I put my friends on hold to see if this Lachlan man was going to be as excited as I was to meet a fellow beveraged-named human. He was! Although I was disappointed at first when he told me his name was actually COFFEY--the EY's, not quite as cool or authentic as the EE's, and that we were not infact related in any way. Dang, I always wanted a cousin my age...
We had a great little chat. He was friendly and cute and I could tell WAY cooler than me. We discovered we would both be traveling to Costa Rica on mission trips over the summer, with different groups and at different times...He found out that I just lived around U of L and went to a campus ministry there, but that I really went to JCC--which I remember him telling me was weird, and that I needed to just go to U of L.
I had heard of this Sojourn place through a friend I'd have lunch with in college, and I made a note to give it a visit. It had sounded cool before, but my 20th birthday confirmed it.

to be continued...


until then, you can read my husband's weekly Wednesday installment of his blog that he writes for Sojourn. It will make you laugh and give you more insight into why this man is my best friend and so doggone easy to love.
http://travelblog.sojournchurch.com/2009/04/29/the-curious-case-of-lachlan-coffey-sojourn-dudes-that-i-met-on-the-mens-retreat/#more-1620

1 comment: