Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Closer...

So it's not official-official, but we got an encouraging call from our agency yesterday! In addition to the application, photos, tax documents and contract, we had to have a medical letter sent from my doctor that outlined some medication, treatment, prognosis, etc...Thankfully, they received all the information they needed, on the proper letterhead, with proper signatures...Whew!
And so, yesterday, they called...well, I'll be honest, they returned my call--I might be a total freak when it comes to aiding the process as much as I can--So, they returned my call to let us know that they had all they needed, and they would continue to review all the information and send it on to the Ethiopia Program, whom we should here from "in the next few days." Agh! (I've never been so thankful for concrete dates and times for the pre-natal appointments I had with Ellory Sue and Ezra.) At that time, they will pass on all the information and document checklist of the things we need to complete and gather to compose our dossier.
I should note how thankful we already are for the way this process is stretching us and growing us. First and foremost, we are blown away as we reflect daily on our own adoption through Christ Jesus, as God's children. Not kinda of children, or second thought children, or children-for-now-but-don't-you-mess-up children, but really really God's own. It's one of those things that as Christians we've "known," but are now being blessed with the parable of our own lives.
I had similar feelings when Ellory Sue entered into her 2nd year of life. I felt like I was bombarded by pictures of our Father's perfect, gentle, gracious parenting. On several occasions, I'd set out a "station" of shiny new toys and books for Ellory Sue to play with, and walk to the back of the house to switch the laundry, or prepare lunch. Inevitably, I'd reenter the room to here rumbles and baby talk coming from the bathroom, where Ellory had forgone my "good gift" and opted to play in the bathroom trash. I'd flip, and then beg God for forgiveness, as clear images came to mind, of how I was doing the same--seeking garbage, wallowing in filthy, when His good gifts were before me.
Three weeks into this adoption process, God has been so gracious in showing us that while we have the best intentions and desires, and we are fighting hard for our child, we are still sinful humans. God, however, and His love, desire, intentions and fight are nothing but holy and pure. And he really did wage war to complete our adoption!
We are also learning that even though this child, in our hearts, is already really our baby, as much as Ellory and Ezra were in those first hours we knew they were growing inside me, people will say, or insinuate, or in some other way communicate doubt. The same way we doubt that God could really save "that person." The same way we think there is something we can do to be more of God's child that we already are. As we venture down this road to our child, I am all the more confident in God's free gift of grace on our lives, unwavering in our screw ups and our own doubts, or the doubts of those we encounter--we REALLY ARE GOD'S CHILDREN!

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome and so encouraging for me this daily monotonous workday when I am so apt to be gloomy about everything and nothing and come up with "trash" to make me feel better. Please keep this up and know we are not quite as excited as you are probably but still super super thrilled!

    -your eferg

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so excited for you guys as you move one step closer to bringing your child home! Thanks for the encouraging words too- it really hits home with me! Praying for you! love y'all! em

    ReplyDelete