Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Money Money Money Money


Today has been filled with research (21c translation: googling) and brainstorming (21c translation: facebook poll) on how to fund our adoption. The first result is direct from our super awesome friend Laura. She suggested we add a paypal donation button, and sent me all the links and such I needed to do so. So, now you will see it in the top right corner.
I got lots of other great ideas form friends, like t-shirts and letters and lemonade stands.
Then I asked Ellory Sue. At almost 4, this girl is loving and giving, and thoughtful beyond belief.
Our conversation went something like this:
Me: Ellory Sue. It's going to take a lot of money for us to bring our baby home. I'm trying to think of some ways we might raise money. You got any?
Ellory Sue: Well, you can have all my money.
M: Ellory, that's beautiful, you are going to be such a great big sister to your brother or sister! I can tell you love them already.
E: Well, I do, and I just want to help. So you can have it all.
M: Do you have any other ideas?
E: We could go to the bank.
M: We might end up doing that, They might let us borrow money to bring our baby home, and we can give it back.
E: I could sell my things.
M: You have things you would want to sell for your new baby? That's a great idea. Maybe we could have a yard sale, and you could have a lemonade stand!
E: YESSSSSSSSSSSSS! I'll say, 'Get your lemonade, take it home! Get your lemonade so we can bring our baby home!"

Then she proceeded to go into her room and emerge with the contents you see in the photo. I halfheartedly apologize if something you gave her is in this pile. You see that big pink tutu? I worked too many stinking hours on that thing, because I wanted to give Ellory a homemade gift for Christmas two years ago. I Made it the BIGGEST, FLUFFIEST, PINKEST tutu this side of the Mississippi, and the girl has touched it a total of 6 times, usually to tell me she doesn't like it. When she brought the pile of things out, there was this urge in me to say, "No, Ellory, not these things, not your things, not the thing I MADE!" And that heart translation would have said: "Our things, my time, this STUFF...it's more important than people. That tutu is more important than your brother, your sister."
How sick is that!? From the mouth of babes I tell ya! My sweet girl understands sacrifice more than I do. And I love that this new Coffey, and Ezra have a sister who would give up everything she had for them!
Tutu anyone?

5 comments:

  1. okay i am officially "favoriting" your blog. this is something we are considering in the future (haven't really told many) and i tried not to tear up at both her giving up her things and also your open heart about the tutu and it being more important than the child... beautiful, all of it. we may be heading back to ky in the near future, we should be friends again :) vivian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vivian!
    YES!
    Heading back, like moving back? Come live in Louisville! Please, please, let's be friends now, and then!
    Love!
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet girl. brought a tear to my eye :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a lot of good luck using this site and posting it frequently to our blog/facebook.

    http://www.onehundredgoodwishes.com/

    Another thing that we did (in conjunction with the site above) was to ask people to mail us gift items for a basket (we did an African theme basket and a baby/child theme basket) and then had a raffle/giveaway to win the baskets. Be careful how you phrase it though because you CANNOT raffle on p@yp@al.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super pumped for you guys and we'll be praying with you as you wait and work to bring home your next baby!!! We love and miss y'all!!
    - Joe and Leslie

    ReplyDelete