Thursday, July 7, 2011

At a loss.

I'm tired. I have very little energy.
I adore my children, but they are all exhausting. It's nothing in particular. Ellory Sue is actually pretty easy most days now-- after constant, consistent and what seemed to be never-ending discipline there for a while...in fact, I think I may still need to log some extra sleep hours or a pedicure, or some other restful event for those long days. Ezra is physically about all I can handle. He is most of the time happy, although we have entered into fits over the past few weeks. He's just needy, and wild, and a boy with lots and lots of energy. His highs are high and his lows are low, and both require my full attention, even if that means my full attention NOT to give him attention. Baby Buna, bless his (or her) heart may not have even taken an earthly breath, but I am emotionally exhausted by him. I think about Baby Buna all the time. Wondering if today is the day he is being born, or his first day at the orphanage...if he is being taken care of and loved and interacted with.
I'm actually yawning right this second, just thinking about it.
The reality is, the attention they require has gotten my rhythms out of rhyme. And this Coffey house likes it's rhymes. We're like Busta'.
So, our marriage is good, but needs some non-movie-watching-falling-asleep-on-the-couch time. And my friendships are good, but need some let's-not-talk-about-the-900-kids-between-us time.
And my time with the Lord is fine but needs some kick-in-the-pants-this-is-what-sustains-you time.
Lachlan and I have had some good conversations about prioritizing one another.
I'm heading out Saturday morning with a couple close friends for a night away.
Now to the sustaining stuff...how do you do it, Mommas? What do you read? Do you use a devotional? When do you do it? What's your thoughts on audio Bibles? Etc. Etc.
Everyone comment. Go.

3 comments:

  1. I too want to read how other mommas do it. I'm tired right there with you...boys are exhausting! Looking forward to a visit from you Coffeys (well, most of you). We'll make Matt serve us drinks while we kick our dogs up. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soooo sooo thankful for you Coffey's and especially how transparent you are on your blog. First, let me say AMEN to all of what you said...so glad that Ellory has settled down...longing for that day with Ruby.

    I read "Mornings and Evenings" by Charles Spurgeon (recommended to me by Kristyn). Love it! Short but super gospel centered morsels for my soul.

    Looking forward to hearing what other mama's read too.
    xoxo TL

    ReplyDelete
  3. my husband actually gave me an idea that we now love in this home :) every morning after breakfast the boys do a 1/2 hour of play time in their rooms with a baby gate at the door keeping them in (for the most part). that is when i drink hot coffee and do my Jesus time. they know i need it, i know i need it. it happens most mornings, not all, but most. baby gate girl, changed my life :) side note, reading 'crazy love' and 'radical' this summer with our church - good stuff. viv

    ReplyDelete