Monday, January 28, 2013

Ehren's Room: Before and After

We've been in our home for just over a year. My sweet husband is a complete slave driver when it comes to settling into a home. The man cannot sleep if there are boxes unpacked. I was 5 months pregnant with our third child when we closed on this house and I had just come out of severe "morning-sickness" which required home health care. I was exceedingly huge for being 5 months along, extremely tired, with an aching back and insomnia. Not to mention a 4 year old and 21 month old.



 
Me, just after we moved in, and my crazies, loving the laundry shoot feature.

Lachlan painted 9 very large rooms in 3 days. We arranged furniture and unpacked boxes. As hard as those first 2 weeks were, I was happy to be (mostly) settled. One of the only rooms we put off was Ehren's room. Ellory Sue and Ezra had completed nurseries months before they came home from the hospital, but I just couldn't decide what to do in Ehren's room, and I was preoccupied with the rest of the house. The other issue is that I am cheap ya'll. It's one of my best and worst qualities. I have expensive taste, but I just can't bring myself to pay over $20 for almost anything. My wedding dress cost 100% more than my prom dress, and my prom dress was $20. It's a problem.

I ran across this amazing blog, and decided to loosely base my design on this. If you need inspiration for a nursery or child's room, you'll get lost on her page for hours. Remember, however,  that I am cheap--thrifty, I had set a basic budget of $200 for everything I needed for baby three. I'm talking layette, diapers, nursery items, the whole kit and caboodle. Here's the results. It's not design blog worthy, but I love it, and I'm learning that things don't have to be perfect. It's the smallest room in our house, and one of my favorites. It's been a precious place to rock and nurse my baby. 

 
Isn't he adorable?
 
 
Before:


After:
 
 
 
Black bookcase: Target, we bought this for Ellory's nursery. ET was his Christmas gift: eBay.  Wire E we've had forever, I bought it on clearance at Urban Outfitters.  Jimmy Eat World/ Taking Back Sunday print: eBay. Frame: Michael's. Vintage radio: Yesternook, for about $4.  "etc" is from Target, it was $20, I think I could have waited for it to be clearanced out, but they are his initials, and I didn't want to miss it. Robot tote: 31Bags, it was gifted to us by our sweet friend, Emily, and must be retired, because I can't find a link. 
 

 Vintage Metal Dresser: Yard Sale, it and the nightstand were in Ellory's room at our 2nd house, and were $60 for the pair. They are HEAVY and my favorite! Crib: gifted by our amazing friend's the Lewis Family. Bumper: gifted during a collaborated yard sale by our friends, the Eubanks Family, Sheets: Target, no long available. Mobile I made from a wire wreath form I spray painted, guitar picks and thread. The thread has been a complete tangled mess, but fishing line didn't work. We still love it. I bought the guitar picks at some random place on line, a huge pack was about $5. Art, Lachlan has owned since before we were dating.

 
Headphone art, I made by painting a canvas, and a decal from Uppercase Living, Changing Table, bought from a friend, $10. Changing pad and cover: Little Treasures Consignment Sale, less than $10. Pillow, Target, clearance from Ezra's nursery.
 
I originally bought an amazing mid century rocker for the nursery, but the back wasn't high enough, and it wasn't comfortable to nurse in, so we bought this recliner from a friend for $20. Sunny Day Real Estate print: eBay. Frame: Michael's. Lamp; Yesternook. (I spray painted) Shade: Target. Nightstand: vintage, yard sale. The beautiful quilt was handmade by our talented friend, Sarah Cosper. The embroidered pillow I made for Lachlan for our first Christmas when we were dating, although he tried to tell Ellory Sue that he made it in high school. (Wha?!) The Orange pillow was an old Target clearance.
Close up of the beautiful quilt.
 
The wall color is Benjamin Moore, Colorado Gray.
 
 
I realize that you can't get a good idea of the layout, but my ET is sleeping, so no more pictures for now.
What do you think every nursery needs?
 
 

 

 



 

 



3 comments:

  1. This looks awesome, Terri! Great job, and I really admire your being so thrifty, even if you didn't have a choice.
    Being the sixteen year old, inexperienced, not-mother that I am, I think every room in the house, including the nursery should have a music player of sorts. And you have that in here, so props to you! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you maria! I'm glad you like it. The only real "music playing" that occurs is his sound machine, but I like your style!

      Delete
  2. Love it Terri. I need some of that Coffey drive and motivation to get my house put together. We are not all the way unpacked, haven't hardly decorated and we still have 5 rooms to paint!

    ReplyDelete