Saturday, January 26, 2013

Going Gluten What?

On New Year's Eve I had some blood test run. We were trying to figure out why my usually controlled hypothyroid condition has been unable to be regulated, and why I've felt like I've had mono for the past 9 months. The blood work showed that there were high celiac antibodies, and that I am probably suffering from Celiac Disease as well. Two uncontrolled autoimmune diseases and 3 children under 5 make for one tired Momma. I'll be having an endoscopy on Friday to have a biopsy, to confirm if the blood work was accurate.

Celiac Disease is controlled through a gluten free diet. And. I. Am. Being. A. Big. Baby. About the prospect of the complete lifestyle change.

Lachlan has been a great encouragement in reminding me that our God is good, and Sovereign, and that though this will be hard, I have much to be thankful for! I'm getting there. I suppose because I can't quite remember what it feels like to have energy and feel "good", I'm wondering if I'd rather just remain miserable while enjoying beer and brownies.

As I begin to wrap my mind around my new diet, I've started a pinterst board with gluten free recipes. I'd love to have you follow along. Assuming this goes down, you'll be finding lots of reviews and thoughts on the recipes and the lifestyle here in the future. Until then, you'll find me stuffing my face with french toast, drinking the growler of meade I bought from Cumberland Brewery last night, and writing poetry to and about Nord's Doughnuts.

 
Crispy, salty bacon on sweet maple glaze
Your custard filled round sets my heart a blaze.
 
Perfect dough, cold before fried
No other doughnut will ever be tried.
 
You were not my first, but you will be my last.
You are the sweet taste of my Germantown past.




2 comments:

  1. I have been sugar, grain, legume free for 22 days and LOVE it! I really think once you get use to being gluten free the way you feel will outweigh what you are missing out on. Gluten free still gives you some great options too. Check out my pinterest board "getting healthy", 90% of the stuff there is grain free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tera, i'm thankful for so many friends who are on a similar diet. i know this is something to praise God for. One of my fears is isolation--not being able to go to as many place, or being a burden to others when I am visiting. It's good to hear the success!

    ReplyDelete